//some 3rd party need geo

Remove/Disable Windows Messenger

Gary 14:28 05 Feb 04

I am running Windows XP and use Outlook Express for EMail. I have recnetly reformatted/reinstalled my computer, and am now struggling to disable the Windows Messenger application as I previously had it set. I use MSN Messenger so do not want Windows Messenger running on my system.

I have tried removing the tick "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" from the Options menu in Outlook Express and have removed the ticks from relevant boxes in WinMessenger itself to stop it from loading on startup, but this made no difference.

I then tried going through the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs and unticking Windows Messenger in the Windows Components box. This stopped it launching on startup, but it still opens when I launch Outlook Express.

I was advised by a friend to go into GPEDIT.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Messenger and enable "Do not allow Windows MEssenger to be run" and "Do not automatically start Windows Messenger initially". This works in that it stops Messenger opening both on startup and when I open Outlook Express. However, with these options in place, Outlook Express takes much longer to open that it did before.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop Windows Messenger running?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

dth 14:33 05 Feb 04

It really does your head in doesn't it.

Have a look at this website and use the download to get rid of it.

Gary 14:44 05 Feb 04

Many thanks - but can you please tell me which website?! :-)

Gary

struggle8 15:32 05 Feb 04

just go into start>controlpanel>admin/tools>services> double click messenger then disable startup type.

Baslla321 15:37 05 Feb 04

If you go on Microsoft Search for Windows Messenger you will get the full details from Microsof Support and TroubleShooting as to how to disable Messenger Service for XP.

feb 15:57 05 Feb 04

but I believe Gary is asking about Windows Messenger and not Messenger Service!

Gary 16:35 05 Feb 04

Yes - I am talking about Windows Messenger and not the Messenger Service...

swanson2 17:12 05 Feb 04

Hi Gary,

Try this:-

Open up Explorer and select Program Files.

Locate the Messenger folder and rename it Messenger (Disabled).

(Before doing this you will have to disable Messenger in the taskbar, if it is running, by right clicking it and selecting exit).

Hope this helps - it worked for me!

Stuartli 17:15 05 Feb 04

Or download shootthemessenger from click here

pc moron 17:29 05 Feb 04

In Outlook Express select View> Layout and untick Contacts- OE should now open quickly.

Since you're not using Messenger, you won't need the Contacts window on show all the time.

Gary 18:02 05 Feb 04

I found that turning off the contacts window does stop Messenger opening - but it's very inconvenient to have to go through the address book every time I want to send an email. Plus, before I did the reinstall, I had the contacts window open and didn't have to suffer Windows Messenger!

I'll download and try shoot the messenger as detailed in the previous post. Watch this space for the results! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…