Removed ram and put it back, now none of my input devices work

Totallynotobsessed 15:57 03 Apr 15

as mentioned in the title I removed the RAM and placed it back in to see of it was DDR2 or DDR3. When I put the RAM back none of my input ports worked, so my keyboard, mouse, monitor all didn't work. The lights and fan of the pc itself worked fine.

Note: I tried to startup my PC (next day) with all the input devices in, on startup none of them worked as expected, but I heard a long sound more or less a beep. It was only one and continued until I took the power cable out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 03 Apr 15

Remove and refit the RAM again and make sure it is fully inserted in the slot.

Totallynotobsessed 17:17 03 Apr 15

I've done to I've also changed which slot then RAM was in

Ian in Northampton 17:53 03 Apr 15

If you're sure the RAM is re-seated correctly, is it possible that you damaged it when taking it out? Did you use anti-static protection? The long, single beep is generally a sign of a problem with memory. The other thing that might help is disconnecting all devices except those that are essential for Windows to boot, then replugging them in.

Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM in?

If you should ever want to find out what memory you have again, you might do better to use the Crucial scanner...

Ian in Northampton 17:54 03 Apr 15

Ah, sorry - from your post, I'm inferring you only have one stick of RAM, so that suggestion won't help.

I'd love this forum to enable you to edit your posts...

bumpkin 18:50 03 Apr 15

To know how many memory sticks there are would be a good starting point.

wee eddie 20:53 03 Apr 15

There is a possibility that you have got grease, possibly from your fingers, onto the contacts.

Rubbing them with an old fashioned pencil eraser (a Rubber) should do the trick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017