Remove Yahoo! search engine, Firefox

exdragon 09:54 27 Apr 14

Hi - does anyone know how I can do this, please? It's not in Control Panel or FF Add-ons, I've removed it from the 'Manage Search Engines', there's no trace of it if I put 'Yahoo' into the Start option and I've looked at the PCA instructions about going to 'about:config', finding keyword.url, right clicking and opting for 'reset'.

All I have there is keyword.enabled, with the reset option greyed out.

As far as I know, I've been extra careful about watching what is included in any downloads I've done recently (not many, as it's a new set up which I'm trying to keep tidy!). I've done a Malwarebytes scan but it didn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Secret-Squirrel 10:49 27 Apr 14

exdragon, what are the symptoms exactly? Is it perhaps your Firefox homepage that's showing Yahoo Search?

exdragon 11:15 27 Apr 14

As mentioned, I've run Malwarebytes, removed the PUP stuff, there's nothing in msconfig that I can see, there's nothing in Control Panel (add/remove). I have Roboform as my home page (I'm happy with that), but if I search for something, it brings up the Yahoo page. I've looked in Revo uninstaller and there's nothing there either.

Perhaps I'll have to do a reset.....

lotvic 11:56 27 Apr 14

Firefox changed 'keyword.url' - did away with it from version 23+

as for the Address bar search, I found info: ClickHere

Haven't read (or understood) all of it, but saw this paragraph: *"Another possibility is to disable keyword search (keyword.enable = false) and use a (one letter) keyword search for searching via the location bar. You can add a keyword to an installed search engine via Manage Search Engines (click the search engines icon on the search bar) and you can add a keyword to a bookmark in the Bookmarks Manager (Show All Bookmarks)."*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5