Remove XP Installs

tonyq 10:56 20 Oct 09

Hi All,
I have a 6 year old Evesham PC Windows XP which as started to slow down, after doing the usual cleaning out CCleaner DeFrag ect, I decided to try a Win XP repair using the Evesham Recovery CD which came with the PC, and according to the User Guide I could do and not lose my data. I loaded and ran the CD but did not come across the repair option. I did this a second time with the same result I presume I must have missed something. My problem now is that when I start the PC up a screen comes up asking which Microsoft Windows XP I wish to load or words to the effect. There are 2 new install, and the old version which I can load .I would like to delete the 2 new installs and use the old version. So the question is :
How do I go about removing the 2 new installs from the computer?

birdface 13:33 20 Oct 09

You need the original XP disc to do a system repair.I don't think a recovery disc will do it.

KremmenUK 13:41 20 Oct 09

I think this can be cured by editing the boot.ini file.

From memory you may have a duplicate line that can be removed.

tonyq 19:06 20 Oct 09

KremmenUK you could be right. I have gone into boot.ini then edit,but I am not sure what to delete.
This is what is in the edit.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 20 Oct 09

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:21 20 Oct 09

better still, rename the boot.ini to boot.old

copy and paste my last post to notepad and save as boot.ini to the c: drive c:\

shut down and reboot it should boot to the old version

if so delete boot.old file and delete the windows.0 and windows.1 folders from the C; drive.

tonyq 20:16 20 Oct 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\
that seems to have solved the problem.

Thank you all for your help/advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…