Remove redundant items from msconfig/startup?

TonyV 20:06 22 Apr 05

In Win 98 I was able to remove redundant items from the listing shown in the Start-up Window in MSCONFIG. This I did by going in to the Registry and looking at RUN, or Run-, or any of the other type keys like that. It seems that in XP this can't be done. There is no run- key! Does this mean that the only way to remove these redundant items is to install yet another programme that will do what Windows should do?

Thanks

woodchip 20:09 22 Apr 05

Does it mater that much? you are only moving a line of text. so it cannot be seen from MSCONFIG

ACOLYTE 20:11 22 Apr 05

As far as i know there are Run items in the xp reg,whether they are what you were looking for i dont know but this click here and this click here seem to work quite well and remove all what is left over,both are quite safe i have them and never had any mishaps.

TonyV 20:13 22 Apr 05

It doesn't really matter but there is so much garbage left on mine from other programmes that are either no longer installed or are not required as a startup item. There are actually 19 redundant entries that I will never need as startup items!

stalion 20:20 22 Apr 05

a registry cleaner should clear out left overs of uninstalled programs
click here

TonyV 20:20 22 Apr 05

Thanks for those comments. I perhaps will have a go with CC and see if that will do it. But this was the point I was making, I didn't really want to put another programme on the machine to correct something that Windows should be able to do itself. It just annoys me that Mr Microsoft says he is improving programmes when in point of fact he is stepping backwards. XP is good, but has lost some of the features that 98 had, like the ability to remove redundant entries. It's called "progress"!!

Cheers!

woodchip 20:21 22 Apr 05

I see what you mean now you are just wanting to clean up as they was not removed when you have uninstalled programs

woodchip 20:23 22 Apr 05

That's one of the reasons that I use my 98se comp the most. Although I have a New XP Desktop and Laptop

TonyV 20:24 22 Apr 05

Thanks for that. I used to use that when I had 98 and as you say it cleared up the registry, but in XP, I cannot see the entries in the Registry that relate to the redundant entries so doubt that it could pick them up as well!

Cheers.

TonyV 20:25 22 Apr 05

Absolutely right!

TonyV

woodchip 20:31 22 Apr 05

I think to some extent XP is was created for yuppies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…