Remove 'programs' menu from start menu

sam2004 09:56 24 Nov 06

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to make the programs menu dissapear from the start menu.

I cant find any way of doing it on the net and wanted to know if someone can help?

Any questions about what i'm trying to find please ask.

Many thanks in advance

johnnyrocker 10:08 24 Nov 06

i find this an odd one what os do you have and why would you want to remove a program list or have i misunderstood your post?

johnny.

Stuartli 10:17 24 Nov 06

Just out of curiosity, why?

Eric10 11:06 24 Nov 06

This is for XP Pro but may be okay for XP Home too so long as the MMC is installed. You need to be logged in with Administrator rights.
Go to Start, Run and type 'gpedit.msc' without the quotes which will open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
Expand 'Administrative Templates' under 'User Configuration' then click on 'Start Menu and Taskbar'.
In the right pane find 'Remove All Programs list from the Start Menu' and double-click it.
Tick the 'Enabled' Radio button then click the 'OK' button and finally close MMC.
To get 'All Programs' back just do the same again but this time tick the 'Disabled' radio button.

sam2004 11:33 24 Nov 06

hi,

i'm trying to create a restriced account which can only run programs i specify, e.g Microsoft word. The programs i want to be used can then be linked to via the desktop, meaning the start menu will only be used to logoff

The operating system i'm using is Win2kpro.

Thanks again

Stuartli 11:37 24 Nov 06

Thanks for the explanation.

Jackcoms 12:18 24 Nov 06

There is no need to remove Programs from the Start menu to create a restricted account.

At the moment you will probably find that all programs are in C:\Documents and Settings; All Users; Start Menu; Programs.

I'll assume that you are the Administrator and 'Fred' is the limited account.

Move all the program icons from C:\Documents and Settings; All Users; Start Menu; Programs to
C:\Documents and Settings; Your Name; Start Menu; Programs.

Then, whichever program you are going to allow 'Fred' to use, copy the program icons to C:\Documents and Settings; Fred; Start Menu; Programs.

sam2004 12:28 24 Nov 06

Hi,

Thanks Jackcoms for the advice, but i would find it easier to change the registry. Because when i create a new user account i can get a .reg file(which has all the user restrictions) to run once (with a script). Then i wont actually need to go and logon as the user and move files around.

Any other advice about servers and restrictive user accounts is welcome :)

Thanks
Sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now