Remove personal data from PC

puma22 08:37 15 May 05

Hi, I have bought a new PC and want to ditch the old one. Before I get rid of it I need to remove permanently the old files - stuff such as bank details - a qucik and sure fire way to do this?
Many thanks

Graham ® 08:39 15 May 05

The only sure way is to destroy the hard drive and fit a new one.

goonerbill © ® 08:52 15 May 05

this months pc pro has software on the cover disk that will do the job, without destroying the hard drive

Diodorus Siculus 08:55 15 May 05

Format the disk and reinstall windows. That will be enough for the average user; if you are concerned, try getting eraser from click here and use it to wipe the disk space.

Even if someone were to find the data that was on the old machine, it will be hard to identify it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:12 15 May 05

A lot of OTT paranoid nonsense being written here. A simple format will be enough....put windows back on if you want to. You are not a spook nor do you have £22million in your account.

puma22 11:08 15 May 05

Cheers for all the advice, will try the reformat. Gandalf, wish I had 22 million, but what little i have woudl like to keep hold of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…