Remove individual suggested names in Outlook email

I am using Outlook to send email and use the Suggested Names option so that when I start typing an email address I get a list of possibilities. This is great and I don't want to lose the ability, but there are a couple of suggested names that I would like to remove from the list.

I tried deleting the names from the drop-down selection, which seems to work while I'm logged in, but as soon as I close down outlook and restart it the names reappear. How do I remove them permanently.

I really don't want to totally clear the list unless there is no other option. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Technotiger 15:43 14 Oct 08

I use Incredimail rather than Outlook so I don't know if this will work the same. When I want to remove a name from the drop-down list I simply highlight it and press Del on the keyboard. The name does not reappear next time I use Incredimail.

I tried doing that, but the name only disappears while I am using outlook for that day. When I use it the next day the name is there again.

Technotiger 15:47 14 Oct 08

PS - I highlight the name for deletion NOT by mouse-click but by using the down/up arrows keys on the keyboard!

Rahere 15:48 14 Oct 08

To remove a name or email address from Outlook's auto-complete list:
Create a new email message in Outlook.
Start typing the name or address you want to remove.
Use the down arrow key to highlight the desired (undesired) entry.
Press Del.

I had try at this for Outlook 2002/xp and 2003 and it should work as above - but perhaps you are using Outlook on an corporate (MS Exchange) system not as stand alone email program?

here is a link to a range of options click here

Rahere,

Yes the outlook I am using is on a corporate (MS Exchange) system. Does this make any difference? Isn't the list of suggested names stored locally?

I have tried deleing the names as you have both suggested, but they always reappear the following day.

Rahere 16:41 14 Oct 08

I think that with an exchange system you have a profile on the server too, but I'll check this.

In the meantime you might want to check if you have names in the Windows address book too - are the suggested names you don't want nick names for example - these can be removed from the addres book which is a secondary source for Outlook's email suggestions....

The names aren't in any address book. They are just purely the people I have emailed in the past.

Rahere 19:37 14 Oct 08

If you are certain there are no names or nick names in the address book (not Contacts) then it might be an Exchange thing where you have to synchronise the two but I'm guessing there as it's not my area!

Rahere 19:53 14 Oct 08

The file where the suggestions are stored ends in .nk2

there are tools around to edit them but I can't guarantee they work or will survive the reboot as you have found already!

1. click here

2. click here Owtlook

3. click here

some of these are commercial products so trial use may be limited

hope they help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…