Remove desktop.exe

curlylad 23:12 01 Feb 05

A friend has told me that he has desktop.exe on his computer and bottom right of the screen just above the system tray a small pop up box with search written in it.

How does he remove this ?
Win XP.
Thanks in advance.

Dan the Confused 23:40 01 Feb 05

Sounds like it could be click here

curlylad 00:19 02 Feb 05

Is there anybody about who can help please ?

ACOLYTE 00:38 02 Feb 05

Try running stinger click here or adaware,spybot it may be a search hijack i would also consider Dan's link as a posibility.

Dan the Confused 04:20 02 Feb 05

If it's not that, then it's probably this click here

Sorry if my powers of ESP were lacking somewhat...

curlylad 12:31 02 Feb 05

Will be either going to my pals tonight or taking remote assistance control of his PC to sort this out , I will report back my efforts but in the mean time thanks for your suggestions .

curlylad 00:40 10 Feb 05

Sorry I have taken so long to get back . The second link you provided did the trick.I first of all went into regedit and removed the 2 autorun references it stated , and then via regedit in safe mode , removed the 4 registry items it highlighted could be present.We then rebooted in normal start up and all was right with the world !

Please note , anyone who has this nasty , if you follow Dan the confuseds link and it fails to solve the problem , you need to go through the procedure in safe mode with system restore turned off as this is how I finally purged it.

Also note that some or all of the entries described in the link could be present !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…