Removal of Trojan PWS-Goldun

dkwright 20:15 28 Sep 06

McAfee VirusScan tells me my PC is infected by the Trojan PWS-Goldun, the infected file being C:\Windows\system32\bt848rom.dll. I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2: VirusScan details - Build 10.0.27, Engine Version 5100, DAT version 8457.
Turned off System Restore; run Scan in Safe Mode - infected file detected, but told it is write-protected, so it can't be deleted, cleaned or quarantined. Was advised, during on-line chat with McAfee technician, to download file 'sdat4856.exe', but during download, got error message 'unable to find any qualifying products', so presumably download not completed. At present, running PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt - tried the command 'C:\Windows\system32\del bt848rom.dll' but told access is denied. Can't access the internet via the PC nor open applications (posting this using my laptop). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

VoG II 20:18 28 Sep 06

Try this click here in Safe Mode (not with Command Prompt).

Jak_1 20:23 28 Sep 06

try this:

click here

beynac 20:38 28 Sep 06

Download HijackThis from : click here

This will create a folder, 'C:\HijackThis', extract the program into that folder and then open the folder for you. It will also create a shortcut on your desktop.

Open HijackThis and click on 'Do a system scan and save a logfile'. Copy the log and post it here: click here

dkwright 22:04 28 Sep 06

Thanks for the suggestions. Managed to download Unlocker on PC; managed to unlock file bt848rom.dll, at which point PC turned off and then restarted. Ran VirusScan in Safe Mode - file detected, but still prevented from cleaning, quarantining or deleting it.
As I said, can't access internet through PC (guess I was just lucky in downloading Unlocker), so not entirely sure how I can follow the suggestions. If at all possible, can any of you provide a few more details - posted this reply using my laptop.

beynac 22:13 28 Sep 06

Download HijackThis to your laptop. Save it to a floppy or a USB drive (or burn to a CD if all else fails). Run it on your PC. Transfer the log to your laptop and post it on the Malware Removal forum (links as in my previous post). An expert will then take you through the steps to clean your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…