Removal of MSN Content Plus if msnappm not there

Anon1000 02:33 03 Aug 06

Hi All,

I just wanted to post this because I read a post that had a similar issue as me, but I found no answer for it.

I am running XP and made the HUGE MISTAKE like many others and downloaded one of the MSN Content Plus products.

I uninstalled the program and like everyone else, this popup saying I needed to register kept coming up on my screen.

I searched and did not have msnappm.exe so I waited for the next popup.

When the popup happened and I clicked OK I did "ctrl-alt-delete" to bring up Task Manager and clicked on "Users" and found the MSN Content Plus program running.

I right clicked it and did "go to process" and found MSNImport.exe , as most found.

Before clicking "end process", I opened my regsitry system (File -> Run -> regedit)*

(* Warning * only go into to registry if you are very very careful and/or comfortable doing so because if you delete the wrong thing, your computer may not work )

I searched my registry for "MSNImport" and found the first, and deleted it. I hit F3 to search for again and in total found 3 entries and deleted all of them.

I clicked File -> Exit to exit registry.

Then I searched the windows directory specifically for MSNImport*.*

- Funny thing, when I did a search for MSNImport from my C drive no files were found but when I searched my C:\Windows directory I found 2 entries:

"MSNImport.exe" in the windows directory
MSNIMPORT.EXE-????????.pf in the windows\prefetch directory

I deleted these 2 files and then did "end process" in Task Manager

And all is good on my system and I did not have to restart my computer in "Safe Mode" or anything.

I hope this comment can help others as your forum has helped me figure it out.

Thanks,

Anon1000 from USA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5