Removal IE6 from 98SE

Valvegrid 13:30 01 Mar 04

I think there were some questions asking if this was possible to do, but I can't find the thread now.

I think I've found away of doing it. I don't think this has been mentioned in the info in 98lite click here, but this is how I did it.

Run 98lite, then remove IE5. Install IE6, then reinstall IE5, then untick the box again to to remove it. This has removed IExpore.exe, also IE6 from the Add/Remove Programs list and most it's components, as far as I can see and remember. It has left OE6 intact because that is my prefered email program.

MichelleC 13:43 01 Mar 04

Here's one way:

Deleting IE

Go to Microsoft Download Center click here?, and select the version of IE you'd like to download.

Look in your c:\windows\inf folder and see if you find any files named oemxx.inf which have a length of 0 (zero), where the xx can be any number.
There could be potentially many thousands. If you do, you need to erase these.

Here's a MS article: click here;en-us;281967 : Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware

Now go to Start/Find, and type wininit.ini
When found, highlight the file and hit 'delete'

Warning: leave Wininit.exe, Wininit.bak, and Win.ini alone

Go to C:\Windows\Temp, and empty the folder completely.

Now shut down as many running programs as possible, especially your antivirus, and try downloading and installing IE again.

Valvegrid 13:54 01 Mar 04

Thanks, but I can't get either of your links to work.

I can't quite understand how your posting removes IE completly.

Maybe it's me.

tafoody 14:04 01 Mar 04

"IEradicator is a tiny, script that uses the Windows setup engine to surgically remove Internet Explorer versions 3 through 6.0 from win9x"

"The MS HTML Engine (shdocvw.dll and mshtml.dll) is left on the machine to provide needed functionality for other applications that render HMTL (e.g. Outlook Express)"

98lite make it sound simple enough, using the free IEradicator. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…