Removal of hardware turns power off

Damn Machine 23:41 03 Jan 06

XP Pro SP2, AMD Sempron 1.6 GHz, Nvidia GeForce3 Ti 200, McAfee AV, Zone Alarm Pro and the usual free anti-spywares. All drivers etc. are up to date.

A couple of weeks ago I found that removing my USB flash caused a complete power off and reboot. This happens whether the USB is removed directly or through the “Safely Remove Hardware” option. The error message that is generated produces a response from Microsoft which advises I install InCD4 complete with link. However, I have a CD-RW that required NeroV5 and this updated version of InCD isn’t compatible. I was content to just get by with the annoyance of having to turn off to remove the flash until today I tried disabling a DVD-ROM and found the same instant shutdown problem. Nothing is shown in the event viewer. I’ve run sfc/ scannow without effect and although my current installation is only about six weeks old my next step is likely to be a repair installation or full install…

…unless anyone can help.

Thanks

Skyver 23:51 03 Jan 06

Open the machine up and disconnect all but your boot HD, run the machine and try a USB device.
Do you use InCD at all anyway? What wattage is your PSU rated at? How old is it?

Damn Machine 00:15 04 Jan 06

Skyver
Yes I do use InCD and if it comes to a choice between being able to use CD-RWs or the USB I'd have to go with the CD-RWs.

Now to show my ignornace, what is a PSU? A power supply unit? How do I check its wattage?

Incidently, installing InCD4 does solve the problem, so I'm assuming it's a software issue, if you have reasons to believe otherwise would you be able explain them - I might as well try to learn something from the experience.

I'll try disconecting things tomorrow and post my findings.

Thanks

Skyver 00:26 04 Jan 06

It looks as though you may have to do as you say, not a problem I've ever heard of before but perhaps some file system driver or other is confusing CD and USB file systems.
Spot on, PSU=power supply, unlikely to be a factor after reading your last post. If you do want to check there should be a sticker or markings on the PSU itself with ratings/wattage, or the model number itself may reflect the total wattage.

Damn Machine 13:41 04 Jan 06

For the record this is what I did to solve the power-off problem.

Disconnected everyting except the main HD - no difference.
Uninstalled SP2 - no difference.
Repair installation - now connecting the USB flash causes power off when the drive is detected.
Reinstall SP2 and all updates (which takes ages and multiple restrats) - same as above.

At this point I was thinking that rather than wasting all the time on the above I should have
gone for a complete new installation, but decided to install InCD4 and then keep switching between the InCD versions for whichever purpose I need.
It was then that I noticed that InCD4 declares it is incompatible with the existing Easywrite package and removes it. Reinstalling my original Easywrite allows me to add/remove the USB flash and use the CD-RW fully.

Wish I'd tried that first.

Damn Machine 13:42 04 Jan 06

Resolved

Damn Machine 13:43 04 Jan 06

Damn Machine 13:44 04 Jan 06

Now I'm having difficulty getting this thread to show as resolved

Damn Machine 13:50 04 Jan 06

Ok - figureed out the reolve thingy
If I might make a suggestion to the forum editor -
the Resolved button looks more like the lable of the box than a button - I ws ticking the box and clicking Post Reponse :)

Skyver 16:53 04 Jan 06

Thanks for getting back with your fix for the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…