Removal of Hacktool.Rootkit

star_4781 08:10 20 Oct 05

My Windows XP system was infected by this virus last nite & I would appreciate some assistance in the removal of it, as my Computer knowledge is limited.

I tried following the removal instructions of my Norton Antivirus, which was:-
+ Decheck the system restore in your Control Panel
+ Restart Computer
+ Recheck the system restore
+ Run a system restore from a known clean backup

This is where my problem is, I have tried to run a system restore - but the only one that is available to select is a system restore that is Timed/Dated, a few minutes after I did the Dechecking/Rechecking in the control, which would indicate that this is a restore that still has the virus in it.

Have I messed up here?

What are my options now for removing this virus, & if possible could you give a step-by-step idiot's guide of how to proceed.

Thanks in advance & sorry for being a computer idiot.

alan227 08:15 20 Oct 05
  alan227 08:27 20 Oct 05

If you decheck system restore, you lose all your Restore points, then when you recheck it a new restore point id added but if you still have the infection it will go into the new restore point.
It should say clean out the virus and then do the system restore decheck/recheck.
And do not knock yourself, we all had to start somewhere and I have learned so much from this forum and others like it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:58 20 Oct 05

1) Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).

2) Update the virus definitions.

3)Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected

Amazingly this *ahem* virus seems to only affect Norton users. Call me cynical but........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…