Removable HDD - any good for internet only use?

Bargee 15:01 14 Jan 03
  Bargee 15:01 14 Jan 03

Is it possible to set up a removable HDD for sole internet & e.mail use & would it be worth the bother? Ideally, I would like to keep my machine totally isolated from the web if poss & this seems a potential way to go about it.
Cheers.

€dstow 15:48 14 Jan 03

All your internetting and email is done through your operating system so whether you keep your records on your "C" drive or any other doesn't really matter.

If you're thinking of virus protection and such like, as I've said, everything goes through your O/S so any nasties are already in residence before your records are stored.

€d

siouxah1 19:07 14 Jan 03

Bargee,

Yes it is possible and quite easy.

Buy yourself two removable HDD caddies with fans. Another hard disc drive. Install another OS on the spare drive with your net connection. Insert the right disc and boot up. Hey Presto.

I did use this system quite successfully. Is it worth the effort? Not sure it is if you have a good Firewall and Anti virus. But it did give a good sense of security.

Do use fans in the caddy otherwise the hard drive can get very hot.

Regards Brian.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…