Remote Webcam Access

slysy 18:57 17 Jan 03
  slysy 18:57 17 Jan 03

Does anybody know of or can recommend software to remotely access a webcam from any PC.
I would like to setup some security for home and be able to access the camera from work, perhaps including some email capability to notify of any motion detection.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

Gemma 19:50 17 Jan 03

There is a thread "Webcams & PC security.. " which has some pointers.

There is freeware, camera sellers bundled stuff and licenced material.

My home system FTP's still images (jpegs) to my website which I (and the rest of the world) can see. The images are sent when motion is detected.
I can hide the image using the usual www parameter passing methods and a little bit of HTML

My personal preference is Gotcha! software click here

If you're really serious then Axis offer network cameras that are self contained "servers" with their own IP address that you could hang on a network at home with internet access via a router through an always on service such as cable or ADSL. This will mean leaving a hole in your firewall but just for the camera which is unhackable anyway. They are, from memory, about £400.

We use Axis cameras to monitor some of our robotics (the engineer looks at them using his browser from his desk). The techies had them installed in no time at all.

slysy 18:38 18 Jan 03

Gemma,

Thanks for the info, will check it out.
The AXIS sounds good, just trying to setup ADSL at home but unable to get connection to service.
Will take a look at this system, my also come in handy for work purposes as well.

Thanks again.

Simon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…