Remote Shutdown

evalesco 13:47 21 Jul 07

I am having trouble using the shutdown command in command prompt to shutdown another PC on my home network (Both PCs running XP home). I can use it to shutdown my own PC - that works fine.

When I try to shutdown the remote PC, I get the message, "The network path was not found". I am using the syntax:

shutdown -s -m \\[ComputerName]

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with rights and permissions but both the PCs have just one administrator account without a password. The account name is the same on both PCs.

I really would like to get this working using the command line, not using third party software.

Thanks a lot. :)

brundle 17:20 21 Jul 07

Perhaps you dont need `-s`.
click here
Can you ping the computer using its network name? Can you ping it using its IP address?

martjc 17:54 21 Jul 07

...try it without -s, this switch just shuts the machine you are working on, not a remote one.

evalesco 17:56 21 Jul 07

Thanks. I have tried without -s but no joy - the syntax is rejected.

I can ping the computer with its network name and its IP address. I can also use net send.

martjc 17:58 21 Jul 07

...the slashes before ComputerName are outside square brackets in your example, but inside the bracket in brundle's link.

evalesco 18:03 21 Jul 07

A good point. I have tried with and without the slashes but it seems to make no difference. The same error message is displayed, "The network path was not found"

evalesco 21:00 21 Jul 07

_

brundle 22:16 21 Jul 07

Maybe some of these suggestions will help; click here

evalesco 22:30 21 Jul 07

Thanks but I think those suggestions are for XP profressional. I don't think XP home has 'administrative tools'?

Switcher 04:59 22 Jul 07

Try this site click here for advice

Switcher 05:04 22 Jul 07

You said that you tried without the slahes, I take it that you meant without the BRACKETS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…