Remote Service Manager Windows NT

rogertjj 16:52 21 Nov 03

I have a problem with my Dads PC. He has Windows NT, and I recently installed ad-aware for him. I ran ad-aware, and it came up with loads of entries to remove.

It appeared to crash half way through, and now whenever he boots up, he gets a number of error messages, mostly regarding a file called rasman.exe, and rasman.dll.

I tried removing the Remote service manager, and re-installing it, but it didn't work :(

He cannot access the internet, or get into dial up networking in the control panel. Does any one have any ideas how to fix this.

He does have a restore CD, but he has 6 partitions. If I use the restore CD, will he lose any data that is on drives D to H ??

spikeychris 18:59 21 Nov 03

Depends what service pack your up to. Which is it?

rogertjj 19:01 21 Nov 03

I think its SP4. But, I can't download SP6 cos he can't get access to the internet. Could O download it from my PC, and put it on a CD, and then update his service pack from the CD ?

spikeychris 19:11 21 Nov 03

Have you got the Windows NT Setup disks?

rogertjj 19:14 21 Nov 03

yes, I think so.

spikeychris 19:22 21 Nov 03

click here

Although this is not mentioned in the KB you will struggle BIG time if you installed SP4 with the /N switch.

rogertjj 19:29 21 Nov 03

Thanks Chris.

What would happen if I used the system restore disk that he has ? Would that mean that any data on the partitioned drives (D - H)would be lost, or would it be kept.

Also, is it possible to install Win98 or later over NT ??

Thanka again for your help

spikeychris 19:38 21 Nov 03

Roger. How's he partitioned the drive? Whats he used?

rogertjj 19:43 21 Nov 03

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea !

He has 6 drives, C - H, each 1.9GB. WinNT has been installed on the C drive. I think it was already like that when he got it from work ?

Do you think it would work again if I just used the restore disk.

spikeychris 19:47 21 Nov 03

Just about to pull the plug but how about running 98 as a dual boot.

Install Windows 98 on one of the partition's

Complete the Windows 98 installation.

Restart the machine with the NT floppies, and when you reach floppy 3 select repair disk.

Modify the Boot.ini from read-only to normal and add to the section: [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT4="Windows NT Version 4.00 (or 5.00)("
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT4="Windows NT Version 4.00 or 5.00) [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

Add the the following line: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition"(X)"\WIN98DIR="Windows 98"
As a ONE line. Where X is the partition number that Windows 98 was installed on. Where WIN98DIR is the directory where Windows 98 is installed.

spikeychris 19:50 21 Nov 03

Last post typed before I read you last response. The restore disk will work but all links to the rootdrive would be lost. Might be an idea to backup and fdisk the drive and install 98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…