Remote Procedure call

swapper 22:26 07 Sep 03

I have just done a clean install of Winxp.homeedition.
After connecting to the internet via bt broadband, I have been shut down a couple of times by a message "Remot Procdure call" (RPC service) what does this mean please.

Peverelli 22:33 07 Sep 03

Looks like you've got a virus. click here

tony tony tone 04:50 08 Sep 03

yes you have got a virus its the ms worm

tony tony tone 06:40 08 Sep 03

this thread should help click here

swapper 09:25 08 Sep 03

Thanks for the response, I did like wat you told me and found the w32/nachi worm, I hope that that will fix it.

I'll come back.

Jester2K II 09:46 08 Sep 03

Have you also insalled the MS Patch click here. If you don't then you'll be plagued by these viruses coming back - even with AV installed.

AragornUK 10:41 08 Sep 03

Also, make sure your firewall is up to date. I know for a fact that ZoneAlarm will stop this virus coming back in its usual manner. However, you will notice a lot of activity on the Alert Logs. I had my PC on yesterday from 10am til Midnight and ZA logged around 15000 access attempt, all from fellow ntlworld users.

Why won't people actually do themselves a favour and do something about it? :o/

Note: You will need (I believe) a genuine copy of XP to install the Patch, and that copy also has to have Service Pack 1 or 1a installed too. Unfortunately due to some sort of conflict, I've not been able to put the SP1a on yet (keeps freezing intermittently after install), however I have had no recurrance of the worm. Still don't know how it got there in the first place. ZA was running, and up to date. If it's stopped it since, why'd it get through to start with? Oh well...these are the mysteries I suppose.

swapper 18:35 08 Sep 03

well, thanks for the info everyone, I am really surprised that I got landed with that virus within 20 minutes of completeing a complete new install, after formatting.
I will have ZA Pro back in a minute, plus Avast, so perhaps things will be o.k. now.

thanks all again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…