Remote Desktop Connection

livewire 13:06 01 Jun 04

How do I use the Remote Desktop connection feature to remotly connect and control Pc's over a Home Network?

I can find no documentation about this feature in Windows Help and Support.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Stuartli 13:30 01 Jun 04

There is full documentation about Remote Desktop connections in Help and Support.

To enable it, if you are currently logged on as the administrator, go to Access Sytem Properties in Control Panel and click the Remote tab.

From this tab you can enable both Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop.

Once you have enabled it there are two matters to weigh up. First is a user account with the remote computer having to log on to your computer with ausername and password, just as if it was your own.

Logging on locally a blank password can be used, but Remote Desketop connection requires you to have a password. You have to consider the account to be ong on with a ensure the password is configured for it.

If it isn't, you can configure one using the User Accounts option in Control Panel - you may want to create a specific Remote Desktop account just for the connection as well.

If you have the Internet Connetion Firewall enabled and not configured to pass Remote Desktop traffic, it will not work. Configure ICF to pass the RD traffic on the Services tab of its Advanced Settings window.

From this point you should read up in Help and Support (key in Remote Desktop Connection into the index) to determine what users are being allowed to connect to you from a remote computer.

livewire 13:39 01 Jun 04

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
I just can't seem to advance pass step 1.

To enable it, if you are currently logged on as the administrator, go to Access Sytem Properties in Control Panel and click the Remote tab.

From this tab you can enable both Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop

The Remote Desktop option is not present in their on either machines

?

Stuartli 13:46 01 Jun 04

I've just checked to see if it's on Home as well as Pro and it is:

click here

This includes the statement that:

The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.

This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform.

To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection.

It is possible to download it from this link as well (msrdpcli.exe).

Stuartli 13:46 01 Jun 04

...use LapLink which does the same thing...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…