Remote connection from laptop to desktop

quintain 22:38 30 Aug 04

Hi
How can I set up my laptop on a DUN when I am in America and connect it to my Desktop which is on broadband in UK both machines are using XP Pro. I wish to have access via my laptop to the files on my desktop machine. Hopefully the procedure will not be a heavy memory user as the laptop would struggle.

dez fowler 23:09 30 Aug 04

Provided your broadband connection has a static ip the easiest way is to use the FTP server part of Internet Information Services (one of the windows components on the XP pro cd).

You'll have to be careful when configuring this however, make sure you don't allow anonymous access and use a strong password. You'll also need to check you have port 21 open for incoming connections if you are behind a firewall. Only share the files you need, not the whole computer.

end 23:43 30 Aug 04

am adding to My postings"; am still trying to sort my PC and lap-top to be on the same BB connection so "alert" for any info on how to do it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…