Remote connection

Pau1JB 15:40 13 Oct 06

hi, i was having a bit of trouble trying to remote connect to my computer at university from my computer at home. I have the ip address, dns host and login details. but anytime i try to ping the ip i dont get a response.

However if i ping from a computer inside the university network it works fine and i connect. I thinj its something to do with the fact am coming in from an outside connection, but i was wondering if there was away around this?

Thanks in advance

Paul

recap 15:44 13 Oct 06

Try pining the www address of the University instead of the IP address, you may be more successful.

Pau1JB 15:58 13 Oct 06

but i still got nothing back! i tried pinging pcadvisor website and ping worked?

Any more ideas

THanks

rodriguez 16:00 13 Oct 06

It could be to do with the university's firewall. In most situations, you have port forward the router to allow outside connections to things such as VNC and Remote Desktop. If you have a router connected to your PC at uni, then you can portforward it - click here for information about this. Select the make and model of your router then select Remote Desktop or VNC or whatever program you're using for instructions on how to forward the ports. If your computer at uni just plugs into a network port in the wall, then it will be their main servers that stop the remote connection and they might not allow such connections.

Pau1JB 16:11 13 Oct 06

well am trying to use putty, as the computer am trying to interact is unix, and am running windows xp. Altho i can switch onto linux if that helps. Well the computer plugs into the network port in the wall and works that way, so maybe like u say, its the main servers wont allow me to remote connect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5