remote assistance xp - can this be hijacked?

Camille 20:37 09 Sep 03

I have just noticed remote assistance on my list of programs, and when clicking on properties noticed it had been accessed 10 minutes ago. I certainly haven't used it so what's going on?

Could this be related to the fact that my home page (which was set to blank) now shows a server not found page?

I've run a virus check and adaware and no suspicious things picked up.

I only use the xp firewall - should I consider something else?

graham√ 20:53 09 Sep 03

Put 'remote assistance' into Help and Support. It will tell you how to set passwords, etc.

spikeychris 20:57 09 Sep 03

I use Remote Desktop, XP Pro, and have never had any probs.

Kitz E Kat 21:02 09 Sep 03

Put XP+Remote Assistance+Exploits in Google, and see what you get....

Thing is with a firewall and AV , for normal use you should be OK, to hack a computer takes time,a hacker will go for a soft target, which your not if you have proper protection, else a hacker will go for a specific computer, more often a corporate computer not 'joe bloggs'..

IS the firewall with XP OK, i used it when i had a dial up connection , now i have ADSL i got Norton Firewall, as im on line all the time..

The Norton Firewall has a nifty pop up add stopper, for me its worth it..

Dont panic...
Kitz E Kat

Gaz 25 23:40 09 Sep 03

I have disabled it altogether as I never need to use it, so what is the point of having more things on your PC you dont use that somone could exploit.

I would disable it, unless you need it.

Camille 21:00 10 Sep 03

thanks, I will disable it as it makes me uneasy.

As far as the homepage in IE, while it WAS set at blank page, I now get the following address:
click here

this looks pretty fishy to me, although adaware says the system is clean!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…