remote assistance xp - can this be hijacked?

Camille 20:37 09 Sep 03

I have just noticed remote assistance on my list of programs, and when clicking on properties noticed it had been accessed 10 minutes ago. I certainly haven't used it so what's going on?

Could this be related to the fact that my home page (which was set to blank) now shows a server not found page?

I've run a virus check and adaware and no suspicious things picked up.

I only use the xp firewall - should I consider something else?

graham√ 20:53 09 Sep 03

Put 'remote assistance' into Help and Support. It will tell you how to set passwords, etc.

spikeychris 20:57 09 Sep 03

I use Remote Desktop, XP Pro, and have never had any probs.

Kitz E Kat 21:02 09 Sep 03

Put XP+Remote Assistance+Exploits in Google, and see what you get....

Thing is with a firewall and AV , for normal use you should be OK, to hack a computer takes time,a hacker will go for a soft target, which your not if you have proper protection, else a hacker will go for a specific computer, more often a corporate computer not 'joe bloggs'..

IS the firewall with XP OK, i used it when i had a dial up connection , now i have ADSL i got Norton Firewall, as im on line all the time..

The Norton Firewall has a nifty pop up add stopper, for me its worth it..

Dont panic...
Kitz E Kat

Gaz 25 23:40 09 Sep 03

I have disabled it altogether as I never need to use it, so what is the point of having more things on your PC you dont use that somone could exploit.

I would disable it, unless you need it.

Camille 21:00 10 Sep 03

thanks, I will disable it as it makes me uneasy.

As far as the homepage in IE, while it WAS set at blank page, I now get the following address:
click here

this looks pretty fishy to me, although adaware says the system is clean!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…