Remote Assistance

Electronic_Eric 23:37 15 Sep 08

Hey,

I'm trying to setup remote assistance. I'm leaving my parents house this Wednesday to live 100 miles away. At the moment i am the computer guru in my home. Unfortunately i do not have the funds to run home all the time to solve problems. So i want to set up remote assistance because it will be so much easier than doing it over the phone.

I thought setting up remote assistance would be easy but its proving to be awkward.

On the computer i have selected "Allow remote assistance" in the system properties. I have a Netgear DG834PN router. I believe all my troubles are to do with the router.
I have tried to port forward the port. By doing this i have created a service. The service is in the port range of 3300-4000 and i selected it to be a TCP or UDP.
With a Netgear router you need to create the service to be able to use it in the firewall in the router.
In the firewall rules i have added a new Inbound allow rule. I have have selected it to always allow, the new service i just created and the IP address of the computer. The IP address is the IP address the router has given the computer. This IP address is always set to the same IP address.

In my eyes this should work. I asked a friend to try and connect to my computer but there was no success.
I opened one of the invitations with notepad. This is what it displayed.

?xml version="1.0" encoding="Unicode" ?> UPLOADINFO TYPE="Escalated"> UPLOADDATA USERNAME="Rob" RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.0.1:3389;RobPC:3389,*,tEn2M9dlinmbar/hVSdhHDoidWrW1a3hpmGmviOvtv4=,*,*,7DHWwuj2T/GoYWLWADvjZCSOpWk=" RCTICKETENCRYPTED="1" DtStart="1221515668" DtLength="300" PassStub="EN$4OuVEbq*lIP" L="0" /> /UPLOADINFO>

I noticed it says the port to use which is 3389. My computer name and my IP address. The original displayed the IP address that my router gave my computer. I tried to put in my true IP address that my ISP gave me. This was unsuccessful.

I have now run out of ideas and Ive searched google for a good couple of hours. I am truly puzzled by this. I'm hoping that one of you guys might have a solution.
I need to solve this today before i leave because i am the only one in the family that has the ability to put the solution in place.

Hope to hear a response soon,

Rob

brundle 23:37 15 Sep 08
  Electronic_Eric 23:39 15 Sep 08

Wont i have the same issue with that software as well

Sea Urchin 00:19 16 Sep 08

I've used Team Viewer very successfully for quite some time. Just download the Customer Module on your parents PC and the full version on your own and away you go. No need to worry about IP addresses or port numbers - it's all done for you.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…