Remote Access through my router

BBez 21:19 21 Jun 06

Hi all, i'm at my girls house at the moment but am needing access to my PC at home to get documents finished etc that are on my home PC.

My PC is using a BT Voyager 205 router with remote access enabled on win xp pro with my %username% allowed access.

My girls PC is connected to BB with a BT voyager 210 and i've setup the RDA Client for win 2000 (she's on 2000 OS)...

When i enter my username / pass, it won't let me connect to the host (my PC at home).

I setup a no-ip account so i've used the IP address no-ip.info has recorded as the last IP address (my IP that BT BB assigns to my router) 88.xx.xx.xx.

Question is, do i use the IP address that BT assigned me for connecting to my remote desktop and do i have to setup port forwarding on my router at home for the RD client to connect to my desktop (port 3389 ..?)

as i'm at my girl's, i will try any suggestions when i get home tomorrow...

any help, TIA...

Forum Editor 23:57 21 Jun 06

Port 3389 on the remote machine is not blocked by a firewall. The IP address you use must be the one assigned to your remote machine by the router.

rodriguez 12:06 22 Jun 06

You need to port forward both your router and your girl's router. This will allow outside connections to access your computer. For Remote Access you need to forward port 3389 on both routers. click here for details about port forwarding your router and click here for details about port forwarding your girls router. It's quite easy when you've done the 1st one and worked out what you're doing and the process is similar because they're both BT. I have a BT Voyager 200 and this is also similar to yours. Another good remote access program is VNC (click here) and is slightly easier. Just install it on both machines and set the passwords for access on both. For this one you'll need to forward ports 5900 and 5800, but this is done in the same way as Remote Access.

rodriguez 18:50 22 Jun 06

Yeah i forgot the external IP bit... whoops. click here to find yours.

BBez 21:46 22 Jun 06

hi all, thanks to FE, rodriguez and ßéLâ...

I've got the ports forwarded and everything's working great now...

thanks again... BBez

sernov 15:17 23 Jun 06

NetInfo tool kit will help you to manage your network

sreejith 18:25 29 Jul 06

Hi
I have a BT Voyager 210 connected to a Netgear wireless router and one of my PC got a webcam server. How will I do the port forwarding to get access to the webcam. I have a static IP from ISP. Do I need to do the port forward on both BT voyager 210 and netgear.

Thanks
Sreejith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac