Remote Access To A Network For A School

acrobat270 12:56 17 Nov 04

Looking for solutions to allow staff and pupils to have remote access to school network (Novell running with windows machines).

Any suggestions to start looking at!

Cheers

Gaz 25 17:12 17 Nov 04

Well, you could do many things - install an ftp server which will allow people to login and the default directories will take them to their root on the server, so for example in my linux box... if I log in as admin I go to /usr

where as 'pupil445' might go to /usr/pupil445

Seems best option, but you would need ftp port open, a fast connection and good security while also having an expert in Novell server software config it.

The other option is to get RM easylink at click here

TomJerry 17:29 17 Nov 04

depends on your definition of access?

If only file access is what you want, a secure web server with password control is what you need.

If you want to access programs etc, you need to set up virtual private network (VPN). Sun and others have product for it. But this may not be the solution because evey client wish to access via VPN must install VPN software on their PCs. I do not think you want to deal with all students questions about this.

One possible solution is to use GotoMyPC, install this on a few PCs and runing. Anyone with a web broswer can access these PCs and take over control, basically have remote PC's desktop on your screen. But once one PC is controlled by one user, other can not use it. So not much a solution.

So, best to get expert company to do the job.

acrobat270 17:55 17 Nov 04

Thanks for comments. Agree we will need to use an expert to supply and configure. Any suggestions?

TomJerry 18:08 17 Nov 04

school normally got some very cheap softwares (e.g. Micorsoft ones), if you give all pupils full network access from home, what stop their parents use them. You may need to look license agreements.

Gaz 25 18:16 17 Nov 04

FTP is your best bet!

scooby43 19:25 17 Nov 04

ftp is a good idea bear in mind allot bandwidth helps.

Gaz 25 19:39 17 Nov 04

should be given a good connection, and even so... most home users are only on 512k broadband so something like a 5 mb business connection should be ok.

I assume, most schools now may be on more anyway - I was networking for a school a few months ago and they had a T1.

If you have a good connection, FTP is good! But after all, are users going to be downloading and uploading much anyway - other than microsoft documents. You MUST, I MEAN MUST.... Block .mp3 and .wav and .wma, and maybe .exe and .zip or else it will turn into a playground of free ftp hosting.

Also place limits on speed and space to each user, any WU-FTP or PROFTPD expert in linux should know how to do this.

Gaz 25 19:42 17 Nov 04

Avoid webserver, they would turn it into free webhosting knowing kid's today! lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…