Remote access connection manager won't start in XP

nick 21:30 01 Feb 04

I recently reinstalled XP pro to try and resolve some problems with IE6. I used the upgrade option, since then I am unable to make an internet connection. The problem seems to be that the remote access connection manager will not start, it keeps coming up with the error messeage 'Could not start the remote access connection manager service on local computer. Error 5: Access denied. The same problem exists with the remote access auto connection manager, but this has a dependancy on RACM so perhaps not surprising. To further complicate matters I cannot access system restore, that comes up with the message'the procedure entry point remote assistance prepare system restore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll.
I've tried all the recommendatios at the microsoft support site and doews not make any difference. I cannot find the sr.inf file that it appears I need to correct the system restore problem, either on the c drive or the XP cd. Sorry to be so long winded, but I have reached the end of my tether! ps my computer came with XP preinstalled and no disks of any kind, so i've used a friends copy, could this be the problem?
thanks Nick

nick 22:44 01 Feb 04

don't worry about the restore issue, have located the sr.inf file and installed it, can now access system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…