A reminder about hijacking

Forum Editor 21:52 15 May 06

I thought it might be worth reminding some of our newer members that it's not good practice to hijack someone else's thread.

Highjacking is a fairly dramatic word to describe something that seems to be happening a little too often of late, and I think it's because many new members may not fully understand the problem it can create.

If you visit a thread in which someone is asking for advice about say, returning a faulty item to a particular supplier, you might be tempted to join in, and say "I've been having a similar problem with another supplier - what should I do?" and then go on to explain all the circumstances of your problem. Others might then post advice for you, and the originator of the thread has to sit there and watch as you debate your problem with othjer forum members. That's called highjacking, and it can be very irritating, both to the originator of the thread, and to those who were trying to help him/her.

Another irritant is the fact that (unless he or she removed the tick from the relevant box when starting the thread) an automatic email is sent to the originator each time a response is posted - including each time you post about your problem.

All in all it's a bit of a pain, and we would rather you didn't do it. I've been receiving email complaints from people to whom this has happened, and in from now on I'm going to start deleting instances of hijacking if they begin to look long-winded. I'll notify the person concerned when I do it, but it would be better all round if it didn't happen.

jessie .x..x.x 22:00 15 May 06

I totally agree, it really annoys me aswell.
Maybe you could make this post `sticky` so it is a permanent reminder to all.

jes x

ade.h 22:06 15 May 06

This forum doesn't have sticky threads.

woodchip 22:07 15 May 06

Mabe just a gentle word, when they do it will work. As we should not try to sound shirty. As some are new and do not know how things work

Totally-braindead 22:12 15 May 06

I'm afraid I was sortof guilty of this over the weekend, someone was giving advice I didn't exactly agree with and we ended up "debating" it a bit. Not exactly a hijack as the FE has defined it. But we did rather confuse the issue a bit. Very sorry.

I did appologise to the threads originator though.

ade.h 22:42 15 May 06

If you join a forum, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the dos and don'ts.

woodchip 09:45 16 May 06

^
^
^

woodchip 09:48 16 May 06

FE can you make this like a Sticky?

Or BOLD your name

woodchip 15:31 16 May 06

^
^
^

Pine Man 15:44 16 May 06

I just did this to Tabvla without considering the implications. I should have known better and promise I won't do it again!

rusty 16:02 16 May 06

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…