Remembering passwords for e-mail automatically

MalcSP 09:11 03 Jan 03
  MalcSP 09:11 03 Jan 03

I'm using Windows 2000 connecting to a server on Windows 2000. When using Outlook 2000 to connect to my e-mail I have to input my password every time even though I check (tick) the box which says 'Remember Password'. Previously, I haven't had to do this on other PCs. Merely ticking the remember box used to save me the time. Is there some setting somewhere that overrides the setting in the log-in box?

bvw in bristol 09:54 03 Jan 03

Might help you:click here

MalcSP 10:46 03 Jan 03

First, thanks for the response bvw in bristol. I checked the site but I am nervous about the registry alterations because the terminology does not seem consistent. What is the key, the subkey etc described in the remedial instructions? Also, there is no 'Save Key' option appearing under my 'Registry' table. I want to resolve the problem but not at the expense of total disaster by mishandling the amendments by poor insructions from Microsoft. Or, am I reading it wrong?

Lozzy 10:53 03 Jan 03

If you print off the link provided by BVW then back up your registry first way if you do cock it up you can restore it. The save key is under "File"

Be aware the Registry is not for the faint hearted

jazzypop 11:37 03 Jan 03

If you are not confident in delving into the Registry, a simpler approach is to install RoboForm. This simple little utility will offer to save any password you type. The next time that you are presented with the same password box, RoboForm pops up and fills it for you automatically.

There are many more options within it, but I find it invaluable for managing the many sites that request a username and password.

click here for a free copy

recap 12:17 03 Jan 03

MalcSP, Windows 2000 is hopefully using NTFS file system for extra security. This is in place for that reason extra security. If you do not have administration rights then you will not be able to install the software stated above. You will need to ask the administrator whom I think in this case will refuse, as adding this type of software may allow you access to other user accounts.

golfpro 13:27 03 Jan 03

jazzypop: would you recomend buying roboform or just downloading the free version.

jazzypop 13:42 03 Jan 03

The free version has done all that I needed it to for a long time, now.

golfpro 14:09 03 Jan 03

Thanks will give it a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…