Reloading WindowsXP

Mike_R 18:15 16 Nov 08

I've had to reload son's desktop XP three times in the last few months. Could it be hardware/virus problems, although the latter does not show up on Norton?
This time I'm getting a message "ATIRW.exe Unable to locate component" "...MFC71.DLL was not found...", but the system seems to run OK.
I was not sure which software drivers to load so I might have attempted to load too much.
Any advice on how to find out what drivers are appropriate would be welcome, and why XP keeps on getting corrupted.
It is a previous life Evesham PC so I doubt whether Evesham would help for no cost.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 16 Nov 08

ile ATIRW.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" (common is C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\). Known file sizes on Windows XP are 196608 bytes (36% of all occurrence), 200704 bytes, 1482752 bytes, 167936 bytes, 192512 bytes, 1622016 bytes, 188416 bytes.
The file is not a Windows core file. Program starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). The program can be removed using the control panel Add\Remove programs applet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 16 Nov 08

Reload your ATI wonder card graphics software

Mike_R 14:24 17 Nov 08

Thank you. I will delete the file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…