Reload CD

Billy911 11:58 23 Aug 04

Could I use someone elses Reload CD to Reload XP Home or would I have to buy one for my own PC?

bremner 12:03 23 Aug 04

Legally - no.

Billy911 12:11 23 Aug 04

What about UNofficially?

Stuartli 12:15 23 Aug 04

May I inject a note of cynicism?

Providing Billy911 has a genuine copy of XP Home and merely wishes to get his system back in working order, I don't really see any problems whether it's legal or not.

People pay for Microsoft's major products - very considerable sums in some cases - yet most of us use freeware such as Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster etc without a thought for those who have worked long hours to create them and subsequently regularly updating them.

bremner 12:33 23 Aug 04

This thread is identical to one from the weekend which I can't find at the moment.

The simple fact is that rightly or wrongly it is illegal to do what he wants to do and I am sure PCA will not condone this site advocating that someone breaks the law.

Whether he chooses to do so of course is a matter for him.

Billy911 12:36 23 Aug 04

I totally agree Stuartli. Also, to be able to get a system back to factory defaults is a RIGHT not a privilege especially an expensive privilege. It's yet another way for them to get more money out of PC users. What next?

ventanas 12:44 23 Aug 04

I think this is the thread you refer to. click here Its been closed now.

I think this one may go the same way. There is just no telling some folk. But for the record, Billy911, you cannot use anyone elses CD to restore your own. The licence is clear about lending etc. Also OEM versions of Windows are for the PC they are supplied with only. It is not, as you say, your right. If you do already have a genuine copy of XP why cannot you use it? If you don't have one, what is on your machine at the moment?

bremner 12:46 23 Aug 04

Thanks yes that was the one

Billy911 15:20 23 Aug 04

First of all I have partitoned my HDD with Win2Kpro and WinXPHome. Both are original copies as well as Studio MX (which cost me £700, by the way). Anyway about it being a right, what I say is that to get the PC back to how it was SHOULD be a right. It's disgusting how they can charge extortionate fees for something that isn't even complete and without flaws - not just the odd flaw but many, many flaws then having to pay extra for you to wipe the slate clean and start again. To add insult to injury they are even considering for us to pay for service pack CD'S as well, which let's face it is them correcting their own mistakes!! It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to charge to send e-mails in the near future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…