Reliability of USB network adaptors

JJE 19:08 30 Nov 05

Are the modern usb network adaptors as reliable as a pci card or a laptop pcima card.
I have to recommend a set up to two pcs wireless networked and two intermittant usage laptops as well.
Setup will be via either Netgear D834G or Linksy WAG354G-Uk adsl modem router . As Amazon are offering Netgear plus the WG111 USB adaptor delivered for £65 i am tempted to make that the best buy.
JJe

mgmcc 23:38 30 Nov 05

There shouldn't be a reliability problem with USB Wireless Adapters, although PCI or PCMCIA would be the preferred option. USB was not designed as a "networking" technology.

Also bear in mind that USB 1.1 only supports a data transfer speed of 12Mbps which will restrict an 802.11g adapter to that speed. USB 2.0 would let it perform at its correct speed of up to 54Mbps. This is unlikely to be an issue for broadband internet access, but is significant for the transfer of large or numerous files between computers in the network.

Gary7 07:17 01 Dec 05

I agree. USB just wasn't designed properly from the start. It's drivers just keep falling over. If you want a reliable 24x7 connection then use wireless (with its security problems) or preferrably hardwired ethernet (no security problems).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…