Reliability info?

meniscus 14:30 31 May 06

Does anyone know where I can get information on the relationship between desktop/laptop powering up/down cycles and its effect on the reliability of the system.

Is it better to leave your PC switched on all the time... or turn it off when your not using it say at night? In otherwords would leaving it on all the time prolong the life of the machine?

Stuartli 14:33 31 May 06

My system over the years has been switched on and off, along with the monitor, many thousands of times.

No problems if you buy quality products.

Totally-braindead 14:35 31 May 06

This has been argued about many times over the years and I have yet to see a definative answer. Some say its better to power off some say its better to leave it on as its the surge at startup that causes most wear. Whos right? I don't know.

meniscus 14:36 31 May 06

Has there been any surveys done on this to verify it tho? Temperture cycling affects reliability so should power cycling do the same?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…