Relettering Drives

Willow12 18:34 03 Jun 03

Can anybody tell me how to allocate new letters to my DVD drive D and my CD-Writer drive E. I want to move then both up the alphabet due to partitioning my Hard Drive. How is this done?

Cheers

soy 18:42 03 Jun 03

Right-Click My Computer and select 'Manage'.

You should see the 'Computer Management' window appear.

On the left hand pane, select 'Disk Management' and all your disk drives including your CD-Rom drives should appear in the right pane.

Right-click the drive you want to change and select 'Change Drive letters and Paths...'. A new window will appear and select 'Change' to change the drive letter.

Hope this helps,

Soy

Willow12 18:50 03 Jun 03

Have tried this, it suggests that if I change letters some programs may not work. Is this a realistic possibility or am I O.K. to change it?

I use XP.

soy 18:56 03 Jun 03

Your ok as long as its your CD-ROM devices.

Basically, the warning is just a precaution in case someone changes their C: drive or drives that have programs installed.

jimv7 18:57 03 Jun 03

If you have loaded ms office via 'd' drive and then change the drive letter, it will not find the disk for any repairs to office. You have to change registry settings for this.

However if you have just installed the drive then ignore the warning.

I have just changed the drive letter of my new writer from 'd' to 'w', works great.

Willow12 20:03 03 Jun 03

Thanks jimv7 and soy. Now have DVD Drive as V and Rewriter as W. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…