Reinstalling XPpro WITHOUT losing all present info

Wulfrune 10:55 03 Jun 05

Hi, I want to reinstall XPpro but ONLY xp pro, the last time I tried this I inadvertantly wiped the C: drive and had to start from scratch, I don't want to repeat this error so I call for help.

Incidently, none of this would have happened if Norton AV pro had uninstalled ok in first place
:(

Help please :)

Indigo 1 10:59 03 Jun 05

Boot up with the XP installation CD in the ROM drive and select install then on the second menu, select Upgrade.

VoG II 13:54 03 Jun 05
  Stuartli 14:18 03 Jun 05

Not read VoG's link but I suspect that it's to use the XP Pro CD-ROM to first choose Install XP Pro>ignore Recovery Console choice and again select Install>then to choose Repair at the next stage.

You will need to have your product number ready early on.

This will retain your data - don't forget to also reinstall SP2 afterwards.

It works - I've done it only this week after getting a new motherboard and about nine months ago when I had my one and only problem with the otherwise very stable XP Pro.

Wulfrune 19:25 06 Jun 05

Food for thought

m(_ _)m

Wulfrune

Ancient Learner 20:24 06 Jun 05

VoG™'s link is very interesting.

My PC came with XP home installed, which I upgraded to Pro with a boxed upgrade version. I finished up with a massive, to me anyway, 'C' drive of some 10GB, and this is all Windows, as I meticulously keep all other programmes in another partition.

Does using this repair method simply replace all the Windows files it finds with what is on the CD, leaving other stuff such as settings alone? And, would it find the SATA drives without needing the SATA drivers to be installed again I wonder.

VoG II 20:28 06 Jun 05

"Does using this repair method simply replace all the Windows files it finds with what is on the CD, leaving other stuff such as settings alone?" - definitely Yes.

"And, would it find the SATA drives without needing the SATA drivers to be installed again I wonder." - I can't be 100% sure as I have never used it on a system with SATA drives. I don't see why not though - it leaves the drivers for other devices in place.

Ancient Learner 20:36 07 Jun 05

Thank you VoG™. This then looks like it's worth a try when I'm feeling brave and patient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac