Reinstalling XP on Toshiba Satellite laptop

InXP 22:51 25 Aug 03

I've got a Toshiba Satellite 1800-814, with pre-installed Windows XP. I've had a few unexplained problems, some of which I feel have come up after installing SP1 (and uninstalling). Anyway, I've decided to reinstall XP. How do I get the laptop to boot up from CD so I can reformat the hard drive or is there another way? I'll be around on and off till 2am, if anybody's got the answer. Ta.

Lozzy 00:00 26 Aug 03

You need to set your Bios to First boot sequence CD Rom Second Floppy Third Hard drive..

Then re boot the PC with the XP CD in the rom then follow the on screen instruction. Make sure you make the file system NTFS..

InXP 00:50 26 Aug 03

Thanks Lozzy. How do you access the BIOS? Is it the same as for a PC? i.e by pressing the DEL key.

Lozzy 01:55 26 Aug 03

When you boot it will flash up. Depending on your Bios and PC it could be the Del key F2 Esc key but it will tell you

InXP 02:13 26 Aug 03

Thanks Lozzy. I asked because I haven't got my laptop with me, as I'm at work. I'll try it later on this morning. Cheers.

Lozzy 02:15 26 Aug 03

I was going to ask don't you sleep!!! Night shift can be a bitch!!! -)

temp003 08:12 26 Aug 03

click here where it says, for "various models", you press ESC and F1 together, to get into the BIOS

InXP 08:41 26 Aug 03

Thanks temp003. I had checked out the Toshiba UK site which was not at all helpful. I'll check out this one after I've had some sleep!!

temp003 08:44 26 Aug 03

Wow, you're still up! Have a good sleep.

Taran 11:02 26 Aug 03

Some Tosh Sat models do not have a boot to BIOS feature as such. Instead, your boot priority and lots of other options are controlled from a Windows Control Panel applet.

To check if this is the case for your model, open up Control Panel and look for an icon called Toshiba Hardware Setup. If it is there, double click it and then click on the tab called Boot Priority. This is where you can change the boot order of your hardware devices, while the other tabs allow you to add password locking and so on.

Not all models feature this, but it makes life far easier in some respects thyan playing around with a series of BIOS screens.

Regards

Taran

InXP 14:22 26 Aug 03

Thanks to you all. Thanks also for your considerate concern about my sleep - I was doing my bit for the NHS and the patients! Now for the scary bit of backing up and re-formatting!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…