Reinstalling XP on Thinkpad

MarkAnthony 16:23 04 Feb 06

Hi

As the number of problems has got completely out of hand I'm preparing to reformat and reinstall XP Pro on a Thinkpad R40e.

I've located a folder called IBMTools that contains the setup files for several IMB applications and another that has a few drivers that I'll copy to a CD before starting the installation - I'm assuming that these come in place of of a setup disk and will conatin everything I need, but before I find I've burnt my driver bridges can anyone tell me if there are any vital applications/drivers that I MUST have.

Thanks

MarkAnthony 20:15 04 Feb 06

?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:58 04 Feb 06

Does it have a factory restore disk?' if so boot from restore disk.

MarkAnthony 23:17 04 Feb 06

No, Fruitbat, no discs at all. I've got an XP pro disc and as I've said a folder with IBM applications (DLA, RecordNow - which are IBM's version of Nero & InCD - and similar things) and a folder called drivers which has audio drivers etc. I'm just worried that I'll get XP in and find I can't use the thing because I'm missing something vital.

Skills 01:14 05 Feb 06

You need to make sure you have all the drivers for your hardware. Which should be in the folder you stated called drivers but heres the IBM support page for your laptop this has all the drivers for your laptop click here

I also find it very useful to download anti spyware apps, firewall, AV software if nessecary eg you dont have a disk and any updates to those. Windows updates to install after puting service pack 2 on. That way you can install your security software and updates before you go any where near the net.

MarkAnthony 10:07 05 Feb 06

Thanks a lot Skills - I've got all the AV, firewall etc. but was just worried about what I didn't.

Thanks again to both of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…