Reinstalling XP and Saving Outlook/Excel Files

micktrish 16:50 07 May 05

I want to do a complete install of XP Pro over a Home version..This may include having to reformat the drive, thats no problem, however how can I save/transfer Outlook personal files and Excel files to either another drive or disc ?. anybody any ideas.

hellred 17:01 07 May 05

When upgrading the instal disk usualy ask if you want a new or an upgrade, if you choose the upgrade all messages and old files are unaffected. Otherwise just use the export dialoge under file in outlook to create a pst file with all the old messages in it and export your address book and any work files you want saving and the use the same method to re import them. Its all available in the file menu of outlook.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 07 May 05

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here
Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

micktrish 17:25 07 May 05

Thanks to the both of you, I,ve just had a quick try with hellred's way and it seemed to work fine whilst I've printed off fruitbat's although it does refer to outlook express, but thanks may come in handy, by the way Hellred I'am putting on a full edition of XP Pro so will I still get a upgrade option when I install XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…