reinstalling xp onto new hard drive

square eyes 21:37 29 Apr 06

hi,

My pc originaly came with 60 gig HDD, i recently bought a 250 gig HDD and installed it as slave.
I want to format and use my new HDD to run as master (OS) and my existing HDD as slave. Instead of backing up files to dvd (which will be painfully time consuming) can i move my files from the new HDD to the 60 gig master, swap over leads and switch, reinstall OS onto new 250 gig HDD and be able access my 60 gig HDD as the slave even tho it will still have the OS on it?
If so will i be able to erase the OS from it?

Im just trying to find an easier way to swap over the HDD's without messing around with DVD burning.

Thanks

ed-0 22:25 29 Apr 06

square eyes 22:36 29 Apr 06

can i have just one more confirmation on that please, somebody?
It makes sense to me, will the format capability in windows allow to me to wip the old drive clean?

Strawballs 22:39 29 Apr 06

That will work fine I have done it before, then when you have done that move everything that you want to keep onto the 250gig drive and format the 60 gig drive by right clicking on it in my computer and selecting format which will clean out any bits of rubbish left behind and leave you with a nice clean slave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:44 29 Apr 06

can i move my files from the new HDD to the 60 gig master, swap over leads and switch, reinstall OS onto new 250 gig HDD and be able access my 60 gig HDD as the slave even tho it will still have the OS on it.

a straight copy of files from one drive to the other will not work,windows will not run off the new drive. You need to:-
1. attatch new drive as slave
2. Use proper copying software to copy over winows to the new drive (Maxblast will do it for maxtor drives) Acronis true image will copy the drive complete.
3. swap drives resetting jumpers, new drive as master old as slave.
4. Check the machine boots and all your files are copied over correctly.
5. format the old drive to regain the space.

square eyes 22:45 29 Apr 06

Thankyou strawballs :-) hehe
I think i have enough confidence to proceed then.

Cheers

Strawballs 22:46 29 Apr 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\ he said that he wanted to reinstall OS and copy files

square eyes 22:57 29 Apr 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\, i think you misread, but thanks for your effort,

Hat off to a dedicated forum helper, good to see you stll here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…