reinstalling xp - catch 22

Kate B 23:48 05 Jan 03
  Kate B 23:48 05 Jan 03

Some time ago I posted a request for help - on attempting to do a clean reinstall of XP, the setup was moaning about not being able to mount kbdus.dll, which it transpired was to do with not being allowed access to the root folder.

All the workarounds I can find on the internet and in the forum relate to Windows 2000 - and it's not the same in one crucial respect: there's nothing to click to allow access to everyone. I'm the sole user of the computer and the administrator.

So blow it, I thought, I'll uninstall XP and start again with my 98SE disc ... and it refuses to uninstall. It seems as though I'm stuck with what I've got.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received. I've never done a total reformat of a hard drive before (gulp) so if anyone can point me at a terrified idiot's guide perhaps that would do the trick?

cheers all

VoG™ 23:52 05 Jan 03

This shoould guide you through the reformat process click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…