Reinstalling XP

Rich 3570 11:17 20 Apr 06

I have a very ill computer, but finally i have tracked down a copy of XP that i can use and a code as well (oh joy). So im all good to go .... but i have never done a reinstall before.

Fortunately i have two harddrives so im going to dump all my data on one and use the other as the system drive.

But what do i need to do first, do i need drivers? and for what? (obviuosly i want to get what i need and put on hard drive 2 so i can get at them even when i don't have internet access) This is the main worry.

Finally once ive done all this (hopefully successfully) and loaded on the essential programs eg office ('casue it takes a while) how can i save this state so i can restore back to it when XP starts to do funny business again?

Any help would be most appreciated

rmcqua 11:39 20 Apr 06

What do you mean by "a copy of XP that I can use and a code as well?"

Rich 3570 11:46 20 Apr 06

umm through some factors which were not my fault (long story, including swaping computers) i had a dodgey XP version, i now have legit CDs and a proper code, not in use on any other machine therefore can update etc

rmcqua 11:52 20 Apr 06

I think you will find that XP includes all the basic drivers you need to get your system up and running. Then, when you have internet acces, you can update drivers from manufacturers' sites, if you want. I think the drivers have to stay on HDD 1 together with the system files, but I may be wrong on this.

When you have the system up and running and all your software re-installed, set up XP system restore to make restore points at regular intervals. Then, if things go wrong, you will be able to get back to the last time when it was working OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…