reinstalling xp

spanglysteve 17:35 29 Oct 05

Hi I want to reinstall xp on my dads machine and need to know the best approach. I only have a disk for SP1 (not SP2) Dad is only on dial up so I can't get him a copy of SP2 online as its too big.

What I really want to know is what the key windows security updates which I should be applying to his machine are until I can take it to my flat and upgrade it with all security updates and sp2.

Thanks

Diver14 17:53 29 Oct 05

When XP sp2 was released most of the PC magazines had it on the cover disk. If you ask around someone is bound to have a spare copy.

Stuartli 18:14 29 Oct 05

SP2 includes SP1 but you will need to do all the updates issued since the release of SP2 (August 6th, 2004).

Easiest way is to install BigFix from bigfix.com (free version) following the new XP/SP2 installation, which will find all the required updates and allow you to download and install them with the minimum loss of time and effort.

If you are able to install XP already why can't you also install SP2? If you have broadband you could burn it to a CD-R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…