Reinstalling Windows XP Home

niklad 22:47 21 Jul 03

when i bought my pc from pc world windows xp home was installed on it. i have now got a virus and must format. would i be better off resetting my pc to the factory settings (losing all of my saved data) or is there a way to reinstall windows without losing my data. i have already tried running system restore but the virus has affected that aswell as my norton antivirus software. Also would i be better off installing windows xp pro (a not exactly legal copy) or using my completely legal copy of windows xp home??please help me before the virus affecs any more of my data

User-312386 22:59 21 Jul 03

ok 1st thing 1st

turn off system restore to rid your self of the virus there

right click "My Computer", click on system restore tab and tick the box that says"turn off system restore"

now that all the data has gone from system restore, uninstall and re-install Norton and update it

now do a virus scan and make sure all viruses have been cleaned and deleted

Next do a system file check

to do this go to start>run and type sfc /scannow (note the space between the sfc and /) remember to put your xp disc in

madboy33

jimv7 23:14 21 Jul 03

Not forgetting to update norton before you run a scan or better yet, dump norton and install avg, its free with regular updates.

click here

powerless 23:20 21 Jul 03

Save that data - But make sure it's virus free!

"is there a way to reinstall windows without losing my data" - There is click here: and click, How To Run a Repair Install. (however as you have factory restore discs? Not sure if you could do this.

Clean fully freshed Install of XP would be my way..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…