reinstalling windows from recovery disc.

charlton200 19:35 27 Dec 06

I am just about to use the recovery disc to reinstall windows.
I have done this once before but remember being a bit nervous at the stage that it says

"Delete all inactive partitions and system partitions"

Could anyone please explain this part again to me and any dangers or pitfalls.
or any website that are useful.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 27 Dec 06

Recovery disks reset everything back to how your computer was on the day you bought it.

Therefore you need to copy anything you wish to keep (documents - emails - photos - contacts) to an exterior medium (CD - DVD - Mem Stick - external drive) before you "Delete all inactive partitions and system partitions"

charlton200 19:57 27 Dec 06

Thanks, yes, I am all ready,
Everything backed up,All drivers backed up..Ready to go.
I am not going to recovery mode, I am formatting and reinstalling windows.

The only part of the process I am uneasy about is the deleting partition stage.

Many thanks.

Rokerend 15:57 28 Dec 06

Like Charlton200 I am about to do a clean XP Home reinstall using the Oem recovery disc that came with my computer 4 years ago.Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple to follow breakdown of procedure.One question that I have been unable to find answer to is "Do I have to unplug everything - printer,modem, mic. etc"

Any help that will avoid me messing things up will be gratefully accepted!

rawprawn 16:06 28 Dec 06

click here
As far as I am aware there is no difference the the actual mechanics of the installation of OEM or XP and these are easy to follow instructions which I suggest you print out before starting.

Taff™ 23:34 28 Dec 06

Not certain about "Inactive Partitions" - this is a recovery procedure and there could be a hidden partition that contains all the original installation files however by definition the "Active Partition" is usually the one that has the Operating System on it unless you`re dual booting. What happens if you select No/Skip/Cancel/Next etc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…