ReInstalling Windows 98 - problems :(

o44wen 20:32 05 Apr 05

Hi,
I was following instruction in PC Adviser on "Windows Reborn" article for giving my old Window 98 a clean start.
However i have now ran into a problem. I follow the instructions to a t and I got my old files all delted.

I then typed
A:\>E:setup,

now my problem was that it cam back with the reply -

Windows Setup requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 442368 bytes to run

can someone please help me out as i am hoping my PC is not broken now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:38 05 Apr 05

Assumind yor CD drive was originally D:

try:

at the a:\ type E: press enter next prompt should now be E: type setup press enter.

If your hrddrive was partitioned into C and D drives and your CD was e: drive then do the above but type F: instead. This is because the tools loaded by the floppy boot disk move the CD drive letter back by one letter, this will return to normal when windows is loaded.

o44wen 22:03 05 Apr 05

Thanks,

sorry again, i done what you said, it changed to E but then when i typed setup it just gave the same response as below again,

Windows Setup requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 442368 bytes to run

VoG II 22:09 05 Apr 05
  o44wen 23:27 05 Apr 05

Thanks VoG

Unfortunatly that is the only hard disk that is on my computer. I do believe that there probably is a virus of somesort on that computer because when i was transfering files from it to my new PC i virus scanned them first and one of the programmes had 7 detected viruses so i just had to scrap that disk.

Does anyone else have any solutions to my problem?
Thanks

phono 00:05 06 Apr 05

Fdisk and format the drive, then install windows.

tonyuk72 01:54 06 Apr 05

How big is the HDD which you are attempting to install Win98 onto? Is there any information on this HDD that you wish to keep?

- - - - - - - - - -

If you have answered no to the later question it would be advisable to see if you are able to boot the computer from the CD Rom drive, to do this you need to go into the BIOS screen "Which is first accessable" when the computer powers up by pressing the DEL key when prompted.

Navigate through the bios until you see a list of boot devices, select the CD Rom as the first bootable device press F10 to save the changes.

Ensure you place the Win98 CD into the drive and then restart the computer. You will then hear the CD Rom drive come to life and will be presented with several options, Boot the computer with CD Rom Support. You will now be able to type X:\setup.exe (X = CD Rom Drive Letter).

- - - - - - - - - - -
The error you report in your first post is one which used to be encountered when attempting to install Win98 via an older version of MS Dos and could be overcome by adding a line to the autoexec.bat file. You shouldn't need to take this step though as you have access to a Win98 CD

THE TERMINATOR 02:07 06 Apr 05

At a:\ type d: and press enter to access your cd rom drive, then at the d:\ prompt type setup and press enter, windows should now install.

bodger2 08:52 06 Apr 05

if you have used format, at A:\ with your win 98 CD in just type setup

o44wen 19:55 06 Apr 05

thanks very much for your replies so far.
The hard drive is 2.1GB

The thing is, it had windows 98SE on it before and i was just trying to give it a refresh, a new lease of life as it had died to a slow. I saw this article in the current issue of PC Adviser so decided to follow it through.
Currently it when correctly until i tried to the setup part. Windows old system has all been deleted!!! As far as my knowledge goes, there is nothing on the disk and i am scared to switch the PC off incase it has ruined it beyond repair.

I was wondeing if anyone had a solution appart from reformating the drive as it is the only hard disk on the pc. It is a 7 year old PC.

It is currently sitting in my living room, stalled at that screen as i described above, since Saturday evening. Please help.

phono 00:03 07 Apr 05

Answer the questions below and then we can take things further.

Do you have a Windows 98SE installation CD?

If not, do you have a manufacturers recovery CD?

If you do not have any of the above, are the OS files stored on the hard drive or on a hidden partition?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…