reinstalling windows

hgrock 16:24 10 Dec 03

i had some problems installing windows, bad files on disk etc. so fdisked , formatted but still get the same error corupt files on disk or bad cab file tried win 98 me and xp, any suggestion folks? scan disk shows no errors

Jester2K II 16:34 10 Dec 03

Are the disks original?

Have you tried changing or cleaning the CD Drive?

Diemmess 17:27 10 Dec 03

Assuming that your disks are original............Try copying all \W98 files from the installation disk to a new Folder on a freshly formatted C: (C:\W98).

Next, change directory from A: (you are using a setup floppy?) to c:\win98..........Now simply type setup and <Enter>

This will ensure that all the necessary installation files are almost instantly available and the CD if faulty can no longer play a dirty deed on you and interrupt installation.

hgrock 21:24 10 Dec 03

don't think it is the CD, all threecould not be faulty, the error message thete are damaged files on the HD that require fixing etc, but the disk was formatted and fdisk about 4 times and i even used a dos wipe program how can there be damaged files on the disk still?

kesser 21:30 10 Dec 03

doing a surface scan in DOS? a prompt then scandisk c: if not try a low-level format - download sw @ maxllf - sounds like your HDD has probs

hgrock 12:14 12 Dec 03

thanks for your help filks , thought i'd let you know what happened, after i tried every thing without success, i cleared the cmos, removed the 266 ddr chip which was the max this board allowed and replaced it with a 333 ddr, and it went through like a breeze, still cant figure out what why that was a remady

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…