reinstalling win98se - will this solve my problems

Camille 20:57 23 Jul 03

posting new thread as it's practically impossible to read the original

having huge problems with pc starting itself in safe mode due to unknown problem. device manager says all ok. tried to restore earlier registry which worked up till rebooting when problem came back. display settings incorrect but won't allow me to change them. keyboard won't type certain capitals or colon. have reinstalled drivers for graphic card. have made some changes to autoexec.bat

fed up to the back teeth, as not very pc-literate.

if i reinstall windows will that help at all?

system - 1gh duron, 127mb sdram, win98se, nvidiageforce graphics

johnem 21:07 23 Jul 03

Camille, have you run an antivirus programme to check if your puter has caught a virus? Seems strange that you cannot adjust settings etc and that puter chooses to reboot into safe mode. Sorry I can't be of more help.

johnem 21:07 23 Jul 03

Camille, have you run an antivirus programme to check if your puter has caught a virus? Seems strange that you cannot adjust settings etc and that puter chooses to reboot into safe mode. Sorry I can't be of more help.

woodchip 21:15 23 Jul 03

Sorry but I have just been in the shower and just posted to your other thread. Yes that is the whole problem that you have got, you have got a new motherboard with the old drivers still showing, You need to Reformat your drive and load Win98 then the new motherboard drivers on the CD that you should have got with the Motherboard.

woodchip 21:29 23 Jul 03

You need to create a boot disc first in Control Panel/Add Remove/Startup Disc. You should Save any files and e-mail or drivers that you may need after you have reloaded Windows. Keep to this thread and if I have to disapear some one will help you out but post back if you want to go a head

Camille 22:52 23 Jul 03

thanks - i hope i'm not confusing things by having 2 posts going... but it's much easier to read this thread!

i looked up microsoft's instructions on reinstalling win, but it didn't mention a boot disk. is this a necessity? i need to keep things as simple as possible as i won't be in a position to rectify any mistakes.
am i right in thinking i just reinstall win on top of the old one?
is there anything else i need to be aware of before i start?

i really appreciate all the help

VoG II 22:58 23 Jul 03

Go into the BIOS and ensure that the CD drive is accessed first. Bung in yout Windows disk, reboot and it should reinstall over the top leaving your documents intact.

If you want to go the whole hog and do a clean install click here?

Camille 23:10 23 Jul 03

VoG -yes, i *am* an abject fool who probably shouldn't be allowed near a computer again, but could you please explain how to go into bios? and how to ensure the cd drive is accessed first?

i just looked at your link for a clean install and am a quivering wreck - hopefully i'll just have to reinstall!

VoG II 23:24 23 Jul 03

No you are not a fool at all. I am a fool for posting incomprehensible instructions.

To get into the BIOS you typically have to press delete when you boot up and get the "white letters on black screen" it should say something like "press DEL to enter BIOS".

Do that and look on each available screen to change the boot order (sorry I don't know your BIOS so can't be more specific) and set it to CDROM as first device.

If you go to click here and download this little utility it will tell you what motherboard you have. If you post that info here, somebody will provide further help.

Gaz 25 23:32 23 Jul 03

It might solve some but no guarantee.

Camille 11:34 24 Jul 03

thanks
keyboard now going crazy _ [email protected] let me type numbers so< my motherboard is SiS seven three nought>
have made start up disk< have drivers for windows< modem< motherboard on CD

was going to just reinstall win< but sounds like i would be better to reformat first

i [email protected] do anything with display settings< as when i try to alter them the screen goes black and the system crashes and then reboots itself in safe mode

am rather worried thought that the startup disk will not work _ is there a way to check it before i try it properly? can anyone suggest a link to a step by step [email protected] guide to reformating (i take it this is harder than just reinstalling windows)

and i admit that anyone who has had a pc for three years and STILL cannot do these things IS an abject fool

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now