reinstalling vista on laptop

billy the fish 18:11 11 Mar 09

HELP!! i have an acer extensa 4220 laptop that came with vista basic preinstalled(no disc).i tried to install linux but didnt like it so tried to reinstall back to factory settings but alas i had formated whole hard drive.phoned acer & it will cost £70 + for them to reinstall back to factory settings.would buying an oem disc myself work or am i going to be £70 out of pocket by sending it back??i seem to have a product key on base of laptop....anyone any suggestions

antony.dandrea 19:47 11 Mar 09

I know this is a bit late to say, but u shud have been able to make a restore disk when you got the laptop. But u havent.

Can you describe exactly what you laptop does at the moment?
Describe everything that happens from the moment you press the on button.

If words appear on the screen, try and record wat they say and tell me

billy the fish 19:57 11 Mar 09

it still goes onto linux but in the manuel it says to press f10 to set to factory settings but still boots up linux.i`ve definatly formatted hard drive

gazzaho 10:02 13 Mar 09

Sometimes just pressing a key once isn't enough to access options during the boot process. I don't have an acer so I can't be sure, have you tried continually tapping the F10 key as it starts up until you get to the recovery screen? You may be hitting it at the wrong time and the computer isn't detecting the key press.

Formatting the drive shouldn't have erased the recovery partition so the F10 option should still work.

billy the fish 13:58 13 Mar 09

yes tried everythig & eventualy phoned acer & ordered an oem disc for £49...my own fault for trying to be clever.thanks all for advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…