Reinstalling Visa on new hard disk Acer Aspire 592

pgladston 15:14 15 Oct 10

I have hat to have the HDD replaced on my granddaughters Acer Aspire 5920. I used my Vista Disk using the laptops windows code every thing worked ok, I installed service P1 and Norton 360, (used DVD drive for this) regested both. I then allowed all the updates from norton and Windows. Now the DVD drive (GSA-T20N ATA Divice) made by LG can be seen in divice manager but has the dreded yellow triangle on it. Trying to update the driver has no effect as windows say the best driver is installed. On contacting LG they say it is a Plug and Play device and windows drivers should work so do not supply a driver. I also went in to the regestry and allterd the upper limit to 0 there was no lower limit there no joy. any body got any idears.

northumbria61 16:02 15 Oct 10

Try the following -

In Device Manager "uninstall" the current driver then "Reboot" - let windows search for and update new driver.

pgladston 17:19 15 Oct 10

Thanks but I tried this a number of times. I have since posting tryed using the Acer system disks I made but got an error message I forgot to note it down. I have now reinstall with my other disk I used at first up till now it is working, now on last update about to restart. After restart still there. If there tomorrow I will post as resolved.

Note this also gets rid of the Acer hidden partitions.

pgladston 11:48 17 Oct 10

The DVD drive again has the yellow triangle of death after the 97 updates from MS, on reflection this is when it went wrong last time. Before the updates I could use the DVD drive to install Norton. Anybody know of a solution to this problem.

pgladston 11:52 17 Oct 10

Title missed end of laptop type Acer Aspire 5920

northumbria61 12:52 17 Oct 10

You could try updating to Service Pack 2 for Vista which may help click here

pgladston 17:02 17 Oct 10

We are in the process of doing just that thanks for the link. We will let you know the result. Peter

BRYNIT 17:44 17 Oct 10

Not using the disk supplied, the computer may be using the Windows default drivers. Have you installed all drivers that are required for your computer supplied by Acer. ie chipset drivers etc click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac