Reinstalling Outlook Express

Rodz 19:29 21 Apr 09

Hi,
My PC back from a rebuild.
Microsoft Outlook has been installed as my mail client.
I would like Outlook Express back.
How do I do this, I run xp pro.
Thanks
Rodz

MAT ALAN 19:55 21 Apr 09

Microsoft Office Outlook or Outlook is available both as a separate application as well as a part of the Microsoft Office suite, Outlook express is the default mail client of XP so not sure why you actually have outlook in the first place...

iscanut 21:22 21 Apr 09

Is this any help....

Click Start, then click Run. Copy this line in the "Run" window: "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg (use copy/paste to do this so it is exactly the same with the quotation marks and slashes).

Or, you can open Outlook Express, choose Tools, then Options, then General. At the bottom of this window, click "Make Default" where it says "This application is the default Mail handler." If this button is grayed out, it means OE is already your default mail program.

This tip is especially useful for those of you who install or update any Microsoft Office applications. Installing Microsoft Office or installing updates or patches for Microsoft Office, always changes your default mail program to Microsoft Outlook. While Microsoft Outlook is supposedly better than Outlook Express, for the vast majority of our readers, Outlook is overkill and has less user-friendly features than Outlook Express. Unless you really need a quick and easy interface between your email program and the programs in Microsoft Office then you're going to much better off using Outlook Express - especially if you like nice stationery or sending sounds and other multi-media files embedded in your email.

Rodz 21:47 21 Apr 09

That`s excellent.
Thanks
Rodz

lotvic 22:01 21 Apr 09

the above from iscanut is a straight copy from click here
©2006 Cloudeight Internet

iscanut
If you are going to paste info from another website you should do it within " " marks and give the link to the source.
There are copyright laws.

Forum Editor 23:11 21 Apr 09

is OK - it deals with facts, and there's no copyright on them. It is considered a courtesy to include an attribution if you're going to paste text from external sources however, and on this occasion I'll officially acknowledge Cloudeight Internet as the source of the solution posted by iscanut.

lotvic 23:18 21 Apr 09

OK FE thanks for clearing that point.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

iscanut 09:13 22 Apr 09

I fail to see the difference in offering help this way or pointing the forum member to the site concerned. All I am doing is trying to help someone. I do not expect this sort of policing on this site. As the help is factual and has no ownership as such I fail to see how copyright laws have been abused, although I take FE's point, put in a much more courteous way !

MAT ALAN 17:03 22 Apr 09

Blimey!! i'm in the DOO DOO then i do this all the time...

iscanut 17:41 22 Apr 09

That's two of us then ! :-(

MAT ALAN 18:28 22 Apr 09

I sorta see FE's point BUT if there is nothing else really relevant other than a possible resolve to the issue why post the link...

if there is any sort of legal ramifications to be had by this i will of course fully adhere to anything that is laid down by the FE and avise others to do the same...

always a learning curve...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant